Do you feel like your makeup looks the same every day? Always reaching for the same neutral color? You might be in a makeup rut! Don’t panic, there are three easy ways you can bust out of a makeup rut without drastically changing your look. Read on to find a new makeup idea:
- Try a new eye color. Always wear brown? Switch to plum! If you’re not ready for a whole new eye color, opt to switch up your liner from basic black to brown, charcoal, or violet for something subtle or yellow, aqua, or emerald for a bigger pop.
- Buy a new lipstick. Lipstick is one of life’s sweet little indulgences. You can grab a new, fun color for as little as 99 cents!
- Brighten up your blush. Summer is the perfect time to try a slightly brighter blush. Just go up one or two shades from your normal go-to color. Worried about it being too bright? Try it for a night out with the girls first so you can get an honest opinion.
One more idea – if you love your day to day makeup routine but just want to jazz things up a bit, try picking up a couple new brushes! We love the fun, summer-y feeling of our fresh and flawless five piece complexion set. It’s an instant way to brighten up your makeup brush collection!
Shopping at thrift, consignment, and second hand stores has never been more popular! With an increased interest in going green and pop culture references, like “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, hitting up your local Goodwill, Salvation Army, or mom and pop second hand shop is as trendy as it is Earth friendly. Thinking of spending your next shopping dollars at a thrift store? Read on for some tips to make the most of your experience.
- Take Your Time: Thrift stores can be a treasure chest of discount finds and rare pieces, but be prepared to spend some time sifting through racks and shelves of merchandise. The best thrift stores are organized by size and color, but taking your time and looking carefully is the best way to find that special something. Browse often too! Second hand shops are constantly getting new merchandise and rotate it in and out quickly.
- Shop in Season: Just like traditional retail stores, many thrift stores rotate their selection by the seasons. So if you’re looking for something specific, shop at the beginning of the season for the best selection. Want short tops and skirts? Shop in March-April. Looking for sweaters and winter coats? Start looking around October. And don’t forget to dress for clothes shopping. Much like shopping at a vintage bazaar make sure you wear something easy to take off and wear layers like a tank top to make trying clothes on more comfortable.
- Think Outside the Closet: Thrift stores are great places to find clothes, shoes, and bags, but they also have so much more! You can score great deals on furniture, accessories, books, games, and more. Check out reviews on Yelp.com to see what stores seem to specialize in.
- Pick Your Neighborhood: If you live in a bigger city, chances are you have more than one thrift store to visit. If you’re looking for something specific, hit them all up; but if you’re not sure where to start, look to the neighborhood the shop is in. Most people donate to their nearest shop, so if you like the vibe and style of an area, chances are you’ll like the selection at the neighborhood thrift store.
Two more tips? Don’t forget your reusable shopping bag and don’t forget to donate yourself! Take your gently used and unneeded items to your local thrift store. If you get a receipt, your donation is tax deductible! Have you found something great at a thrift store? Have any tips of your own to share? Leave a comment and let us know.
We’ve been seeing lush photos and gorgeous hair, makeup, and jewelry, from the newest Great Gatsby movie for months and the wait is finally over! If you saw the movie and loved Daisy’s style (played by Carey Mulligan), here are a couple tips and tricks for copying that gorgeous makeup.
- Long, Lean Eyebrows
According to makeup artist Maurizio Silvi “The eyebrows were the most important part of the face because they represented the look of that time.” The Daisy Buchanan character has cleanly plucked, long brows. To copy the look, brush through with a lash & brow duo, then fill in with an eyebrow gel or pencil that matches your brow color.
- Light Lips
A red lipstick doesn’t fit Daisy’s ethereal personality, so Silvi selected a light pinkish-nude shade. Pick a color that is close to your natural lip color but a touch pinker and apply with a lip brush, which allows you to control the amount of color for buildable coverage.
- Dramatic Eyes
To keep the emphasis on the eye, create a smoky eye, but swap out black for a soft plum shade in a matte color. Use your full eye shadow brush for your lower lid and crease, then dip the same brush in a light pink shadow to blend out of the crease and under brows. Want even more drama? Stamp a grey or dark purple gel liner on the top lash line with a flat liner brush and apply a few coats of mascara.
Makeup Shown: Tarte Amazonian Clay Eye Shadow Quad in “Envoke the Smoke” and Tarte Maracuja Divine Shine Lip Gloss