Did you know traditional nail polish is considered hazardous waste? It contains toxic chemicals and is flammable, so you can’t just toss those old nail polish colors in the trash, they have to be properly disposed of (Earth 911 tells you how). But we can’t resist painting our nails pretty colors to match the season. If you just can’t resist either, never fear, there are some great eco options available for painting your nails. Making the switch to more organic nail products not only helps the environment, it also helps you: no more obnoxious smells or danger of ingesting chemicals if you happen to bite your nails.
Here are some of our favorite new Earth friendly nail polish products:
- Acquarella A made in the US, water based line that comes in tons of colors and finishes.
- RGB Another made in the US company, cruelty free, and offers free shipping from their website.
- Scotch Naturals Comes in cute bottles and features a list of good for you credentials like vegan free, toxin free, biodegradable, cruelty free, etc. They also offer soy based nail polish removers.
- Hopscotch Kids A non-toxic, water based line designed for kids in cute bottles and poppy colors, including a glitter top coat.
- Butter London Boasts tons of rich colors and are “3 free,” meaning they’re free of Formaldehyde, Toulene, and DBP.
- Priti NYC Comes in pretty bottles and even has a bridal line and French Manicure pack.
- Ginger + Liz An all vegan friendly line with chic names like “I’m So Over Him.”
- Zoya The only eco company we found that had a holographic fleck effect polish along with their variety of colors, vegan friendly line, and distribution in nail salons.
If you have leftover traditional nail polish, check out this recycling program from Chemwise.org or consider swapping with a friend, gifting to a younger cousin or sister, or even using it around the house. Try putting a clear coat on the bottom of steel cans to prevent them from rusting.
Have you made the switch to eco friendly nail polish?